[seedig] Start of SEEDIG 6 cycle: Overview of the planning process

Desara Dushi desaradushi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 21:46:18 CEST 2019

Dear Sorina and dear SEEDIG community,

As a member of the SEEDIG5 Programme Committee (PC), I would like to make
some suggestions for the new SEEDIG cycle as it regards the timeline of the
work of the PC.

In my opinion, last year the PC started working very late, not because of
lack of responsibility from the team (we had an excellent team), but
because the timing was scheduled in that way. And this caused problems
especially when it came to inviting speakers for the panels. We got many
rejections, not because those people were not interested to come, but
because they already had other plans in their agendas for those days.
So I would suggest that this year we open the call for PC asap, and that
the PC starts working as soon as the topics of the sections have been
determined.

And the most important thing, I highly suggest that this time the PC starts
contacting potential speakers from the start, and not wait until we have a
final draft of the section titles and of the section descriptions. I think
it is not necessary to have a clear section title and description in order
to invite speakers. And I think that having the speakers confirmed early
enough, makes the work of the PC much easier, as they do not have to worry
to find other speakers last minute.

All the best,
Sara
--