[seedig] And now something different

Dušan Caf dusan.caf at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 19:41:25 CEST 2019

Dear Dušan,

Your inputs are appreciated as they are based on experience, complement SEEDIG plans and may inspire the team.

It is also important that we share different views and experiences and respectfully accept the differences. Therefore, I won't comment on your remarks based on misunderstanding, just two things:

1) The estimates are based on experience from similar international projects in the private sector. The figures are »up to« and from »actual projects«, not just from »some professional news portals«. »Up to« as it all depends on the level and quality of service provided.

2) A web based portal of the SEE Summary was already foreseen in the SEEDIG Strategic Plan 2018–2020. The Plan envisaged two main objectives to strengthen the operation of the SEEsummary, ie (i) to continue and evolve the SEEsummary and (ii) to bring more sustainability to the SEEsummary — with several activities proposed. As a matter of fact, a voluntary approach was taken by the Executive Committee in 2018.

Kind regards,
Dušan

> [...]
>
> I apologize if I was hard on you, and we don't have to agree. No need to reply and again, thanks for a feedback. I didn't give solution - I gave idea how the project can be reshaped, which you can use, even build a project plan if you want, or forget it. I hope that there will be a good discussion among members because - this project can't just continue like this. It's time to really discuss it and solve it.
>
> Cheers
> Dusan
>
> čet, 4. jul 2019. 09:28 Dušan Caf via seedig <seedig at lists.rnids.rs <mailto:seedig at lists.rnids.rs>> je napisao/la:
>> Hi Dušan,
>>
>> Delivering »high quality« monthly summaries is an ambitious plan that (currently) exceeds SEEDIG's capacities and resources. Despite huge efforts of the editorial team the task comes with challenges. They could be addressed, as you suggested, by focusing on a portal instead of delivering monthly issues that require extra resources for editing and designing and put extra stress on the team with tight deadlines. However, this is only part of the problem.
>>
>> The challenges are broader. Such activities, only more detailed, are worth up to several hundred thousands euros a year for the whole region. Where are the limits for the team and who is the target audience or rather who are the customers of SEEsummary? Who is willing to pay for the service? Can we get enough customers to cover the costs of providing the service and remunerate the team? What is the value-added and what alternatives available?
>>
>> For the service to be relevant, one has to deal at least with the following challenges:
>> — Capturing news across the region
>> — Assuring news quality
>> — News aggregation (and perhaps analysis)
>> — Providing (customised) reports
>> — Promotion (and later on marketing)
>>
>> The portal (e.g. summary.seedig.net <http://summary.seedig.net/>) could be the first step. However, the team would need a thorough and open discussion on other challenges as well.
>>
>> You opened an important issue and proposed part of the solution. The Executive Committee has already discussed the issue and would (need to) discuss it again, along with a detailed project plan for delivering SEEsummary.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Dušan
>>

>>> On 30 Jun 2019, at 18:44, Dušan Stojičević <dusan at dukes.in.rs <mailto:dusan at dukes.in.rs>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> DISCLAIMER> I apologize In advance, I believe that email meets Sorina’s standards, regarding the number of chars.
>>>
>>> You all know what is SEEsummary, right? Well, it’s defined something like this – a monthly report on IT developments in SEE region.
>>> In reality, this is news aggregation from IT and IGF in the region. And can it be somehow improved or maybe, earn some money? I believe it can, and for a long time I was suggesting this>
>>> 2.      Instead of filling with content already rich web site SEEDIG.NET <http://seedig.net/>, this can be separate dedicated site just for this project.
>>> 3.      The website will have same human structure (editorial like now), no need for further engagement of new people.
>>> 4.      Google Ads, banners and other ads can bring some money to this project. With good SEO and good design, it can become a IT news website – we surely have some reports from the field written by our people.
>>> 5.      Of course, FB, TW and rest should be opened for SEESUM (whoever wants to step up with better name for the project – be my guests), and maintained, to share the news.
>>> 6.      There is a lot of energy spent so far, but we didn’t make for few years any major breakthrough with this because it’s not visible (or obvious) on seedig website that we have this website. If you want to tell me – “but there is a menu, and there are links here and there” – don’t – it’s not visible.
>>> 7.      To build an audience, besides writing, there should be energy in promoting SEESUM on places like IGF, SEEDIG and all other events, online and ofline.
>>> 8.      We would erase deadlines, and this would not be MONTHLY, but real time news from the region regarding IT development. (with few days delays in publishing the news).
>>> 9.      On this websites, SEEDIG can publish results from surveys like any news and it will be reaching more people.