[seedig] And now something different

Dušan Caf dusan.caf at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 09:28:16 CEST 2019

Hi Dušan,

Delivering »high quality« monthly summaries is an ambitious plan that (currently) exceeds SEEDIG's capacities and resources. Despite huge efforts of the editorial team the task comes with challenges. They could be addressed, as you suggested, by focusing on a portal instead of delivering monthly issues that require extra resources for editing and designing and put extra stress on the team with tight deadlines. However, this is only part of the problem.

The challenges are broader. Such activities, only more detailed, are worth up to several hundred thousands euros a year for the whole region. Where are the limits for the team and who is the target audience or rather who are the customers of SEEsummary? Who is willing to pay for the service? Can we get enough customers to cover the costs of providing the service and remunerate the team? What is the value-added and what alternatives available?

For the service to be relevant, one has to deal at least with the following challenges:
— Capturing news across the region
— Assuring news quality
— News aggregation (and perhaps analysis)
— Providing (customised) reports
— Promotion (and later on marketing)

The portal (e.g. summary.seedig.net) could be the first step. However, the team would need a thorough and open discussion on other challenges as well.

You opened an important issue and proposed part of the solution. The Executive Committee has already discussed the issue and would (need to) discuss it again, along with a detailed project plan for delivering SEEsummary.

Kind regards,
Dušan