[seedig] Call for Comments: SEEDIG Draft Strategic Plan

Dušan Caf dusan.caf at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 09:53:29 CET 2018

Dear all,

Once again, many thanks to all who have commented on the draft strategy and/or expressed feedback through the mailing list. We appreciate all comments and feedback received. Now that the public comment period is over, we would like to address your comments first via the mailing list.

Since the launch of the South Eastern European Dialogue on Internet Governance (SEEDIG), the Executive Committee has for the first time come up with a strategic document reflecting SEEDIG’s vision, mission and values. We have revised our work and drafted the document that reflects our understanding of all the challenges that we, as the SEEDIG community and the Executive Committee, have been facing. Strategic objectives have been reconsidered and defined around our key processes, both vertically and horizontally.

Our intention was not to define a complete business plan, thus we haven not followed a comprehensive business planning structure as you may know from literature or experience (e.g. https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/wholefarm/html/c5-09.html). Our goal was to come up with a streamlined strategy based on our key processes. We welcome and appreciate all comments received during the public consultation period, as they  relate to both the structure and the content of the document.

Regarding goals and actions, we explained in the call for comments that goals were complemented by actions. The inclusion of specific actions was done intentionally, for the purpose of showing that consideration had also been given to how the goals could be achieved. Some of the comments received relate to exactly this: the fact that the document includes examples of actions. We have taken note of these comments, and although they might reflect a misunderstanding of the document’s structure and intention, they would be considered in finalising the document as well.

We also highly appreciate Frederic’s comments. Each comment is invaluable to us, but those coming from one of our key institutional supporters, which make SEEDIG’s annual meetings and capacity building programmes possible, are especially important.

While setting priorities for the next two to three years, our aim was to set the bar high for SEEDIG. We have to and we do prioritise our work, as the Executive Committee and as members of the SEEDIG community, who volunteer each day to carry SEEDIG forward toward its goals.

We are reaching out to new potential partners and collaborators to increase SEEDIG’s outreach; encouraging/setting an example for new national IGFs, youth IGFs, and SIGs as one of the first initiatives in the SEE and neighbouring area; contributing to regional, continental and global Internet governance processes with messages, output and surveys, which translate to a body of knowledge about Internet governance practices and developments in the region; revamping our communication strategies towards more engagement with the community and our partners; curating the only regional summary of digital policy and Internet governance processes in SEE; and continuously work towards  improving SEEDIG’s effective and efficient organisational foundation.

We are aware that our plans are ambitious, but the strategic objectives reflect our current key processes. Some of the processes previously managed together, such as annual events, capacity building programmes and intersessional activities, have intentionally been separated. This enables us to better understand individual processes, resources required to accomplish associated goals, and to explore alternatives for carrying out individual processes if needed.

We hope this email helps explain the motives and reasoning behind certain aspects of the strategy document. All comments will be considered while finalising the document and we count on your continued involvement in and support for SEEDIG’s work.

Best regards,

Dušan
(on behalf of the Executive Committee)