[seedig] Role of former SEEDIG Hosts?

Dusan Stojicevic dusan at dukes.in.rs
Wed Oct 25 02:12:25 CEST 2017

Dear all,

Thank you all. Must say: What a discussion about the thing that is not of any crucial value for the SEEDIG.

Sorina’s section WHY speaks for itself. Firstly, it’s expected from observers “to lend their advice and support” while those organization can appoint anybody, even someone new without expected valuable “advice”. The support from those organizations was proved in this two/three years, so with or without those roles, they would provide what is expected from observers. Overall, the whole deal with observers seats is written in just one sentence: “Yes, they could do this even if not offered a formal observer seat, but why not recognize their contributions through such roles?” So, the conclusion – it’s not substantial, it’s about “why not”.

Let me try to answer to this basically trivial question:

1.       Because they will do it even if you don’t give them those roles.

2.       Because there are bunch of other organizations (supporting orgs and sponsors) which was REGULARY contacted and asked about opinions and advice in previous years, on ANY crucial work or decisions in previous years. Also, in elections committee, you have observers from this orgs, why not in exe com, as they were practically doing it.

3.       Because the basic logic is not good and will not bring good – give me to give you.

4.       Because we are not old as MAG, big as MAG and IGF, and we don’t need to copy/paste solutions from them just because solutions work there.

5.       Because this is not crucial thing right now that we need to solve – hint> legal entity, resolve membership and bunch of others.

6.       Because we are building bureaucracy that is not in proportion of SEEDIG (142 members).

7.       Because we need exe com to WORK, and the advices - you can find wherever you turn your head

8.       Because it is not attracting NEW organizations, but ones that are already involved. So, no new members and no new support.

9.       Because this is not what will bring “broader institutional support” more than usual

10.   Because “establishing observer seats for Host Countries could strengthen SEEDIG in broader terms”, but could also be a factor of instability. My guess - it will be a decoration committee

11.   Because you can ask the orgs do they want that – there are only three orgs in proposal.

12.   Because it’s decorative committee, nothing substantial. Because it’s equal to giving a plaques for 10th years anniversary…

I can easily continue with tenish more, but it’s enough for me to conclude – I am strongly against the proposal at this moment, and I still think that this is Muppet Show Balcony committee.

About understanding host as personal or entity, Anja’s idea wasn’t clear enough. In first sentence was countries, then hosts, then “showing respect toward those that were the direct drivers”. The direct drivers were mentioned in my mail. But, overall - it’s irrelevant was it personal or entity, we all, or mostly all, live in SEE and we know what we are going to get from those orgs (except for Serbia/RNIDS). And above all that, people – we need to work.

My two cents,

Dusan

p.s. – promise, last time writing on this ;)