[icann-see] SEEDIG association - update

Sorina Teleanu sorinat at diplomacy.edu
Mon May 8 20:00:02 CEST 2017

Dear all,

We are writing to you with few updates regarding the plans for the creation
of a SEEDIG legal structure/association.

We have previously asked for your agreement with a two-step process for the
creation of a legal structure: (1) the setting-up of an association
composed of members of the SEEDIG executive committee, with a light
statute, for the purpose of facilitating the preparations for the Ohrid
meeting; and (2) parallel work on a more comprehensive statute for an
association 2.0, with open membership, and clear rules and principles on
issues such as governing bodies, working methods, etc.

Over the past weeks, however, we have given more consideration to the
aforementioned process. And we are of the view that it would be wiser to
only proceed with a SEEDIG legal structure which has open membership and
clear rules, principles, and governing bodies from the outset. We think it
is important for the credibility and sustainability of SEEDIG if a legal
structure is created only after the community agrees on the key elements on
the basis of which this structure would function.

As such, we are putting on hold the creation of a SEEDIG association, until
such time when the community defines and agrees on the statute that will
govern this association. As we are now on the last mile of preparations for
the Ohrid meeting, and there is a lot of work to be done in the upcoming
days, our suggestion is that we give priority to these preparations for the
time being. And that we resume the discussions on all aspects related to a
SEEDIG association (statute, including governing bodies, rules and
principles, jurisdiction, etc.) at the Ohrid meeting, and continue them
after.

With regard to the legal and financial aspects of the SEEDIG 2017
preparations, the EuroDIG Secretariat has kindly offered to assist in this
matter. We have discussed with our sponsors, and they have agreed to
channel their contributions to SEEDIG through EuroDIG. The SEEDIG executive
committee will still decide on how the funds will be used, but the
collection of funds and the necessary payments will be made through
EuroDIG. While thanking EuroDIG and our sponsors for agreeing on this
approach, we would also like to clarify the fact that this is only a
temporary solution, and only for the Ohrid meeting.

We trust that you will find the approaches above reasonable.

Thank you.

Best regards,

SEEDIG executive committee