[Icann-see] Report from Armenian IGF (ArmIGF)

Lianna Galstyan lianna at magic.am
Mon Oct 12 12:31:21 CEST 2015

Dear All,

As we say better later, than never - I would like to let you know that
ISOC Armenia with support of the Internet Governance Council of Armenia
and the Ministry of Transport and Communication of Armenia organized the
first Armenian IGF (ArmIGF) on September 7-8, 2015 in Yerevan, Armenia.
It was organized in the good tradition of EuroDIG - we announced a call
for topics, organized voting, then the program was prepared, speakers
invited, etc.

ArmIGF was one-and-half day event with plenary and panel sessions.

The topics for plenary sessions were:

·Multi-stakeholder model of Internet Governancefor Armenia,

·.հայIDN for Armenia (presented by myself),

·Universal Acceptance: Recent Achievements (presented by Dusan Stojicevic),

·Digital Public Library of Armenia: a Dream or a Reality,

·Internet of Things-Big Data and Big Opportunities for Economies,

·ICANN accountability and IANA transition (presented by Michael
Yakushev, ICANN VP),

·Children Safety on the Internet (presented by Narine Khachatryan),

·Problems of the National Research and Education Network (NREN),

·Intellectual Property Rights and Free Access to Internet Resources,

·The impact of Internet on further development of Armenian SMEs.

The large topics for panel sessions were:

·New Media

·Round Table on Multistakeholder Cooperation

·Network Neutrality

·E-Tools for E-Society (Applications)

·Content

·Cybersecurity

Opening keynotes were delivered by the Deputy Minister of Transport and
Communication of Armenia, who is also the Chair of IGC and by the
President of ISOC Armenia as well as video recording was sent by Fadi
Chehade, ICANN President and CEO and by Frederic Donck, ISOC European
Regional Bureau Director.

We hosted guests from Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Serbia, Russia,
Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia.

Our sponsors were mainly Internet Society, ICANN, IGFSA along with local
sponsors ISOC Armenia, UCom, ABCDomain and HyperSpace.

The event was webstreamed by the support of the Internet Society and the
remote participation via Webex was kindly provided by the IGF Secretariat.

ArmIGF 2015 was well attended: we had overall 170 participants, all
stakeholder groups were represented, 62% of participants were male, 38%
of participants were female and 9% were youth.

The discussions were constructive more oriented on revealing challenges
rather than showcasing the success. The experience was very positive and
encouraging and such was the on-spot feedback.

The official report is still in preparation.

Thank you for your attention. I hope next time we will have more
participants from the SEE region.

Best regards,

Lianna Galstyan