[Icann-see] Pre-EuroDIG South Eastern European Round Table

Dušan Stojičević dusan at dukes.in.rs
Sun Nov 23 20:43:07 CET 2014

Dear all,

@Sorina - Dear Sorina, thanks for rising up those crucial question. I'll
try in next mail to discuss some of the things that You mentioned and I
will share my thoughts.

@all - some news from Serbia
This was a busy week regarding IGF in Serbia. "Internet Dijalog Srbije -
IDS 2014", or serbian IGF, was held last week. This meeting was
organized by our Ministry of Trade,  Telecomunications and Tourism, and
here is translation of media coverage:
/
"State Secretary in Ministry of Trade, Tourism and Telecommunications,
Tatjana Matic, opened on Tuesday at the National Assembly in Belgrade,
conference "Internet dialogue Serbia", which is an initiative open for
informal discussion of stakeholders from all over Serbia on issues of
development, use and management of the Internet.//
//Tatjana Matic stressed the need to continue with the promotion of
digital entrepreneurship and creating a favorable environment for
start-commands and tasks based on new technologies that bring new jobs.
There must be support for new development technologies, to citizens, an
innovative web-entrepreneurs and other entrepreneurs could take
advantage of all benefits that these technologies offer.//
//"It is necessary to develop and implement measures to ensure that
citizens and businesses feel safer and more secure online, which would
be able to fully realize the benefits that provides the digital
economy," said Secretary of State.//
//Secretary of State pointed out that global Internet governance should
be legitimate, transparent, accountable, sustainable and inclusive,
which means that the Internet should remain open, as the leading force
of innovation and international resources, to the benefit of all citizens.//
////The aim of the conference is to bring together and encourage all
interested parties in Serbia to exchange views and best practices, to
propose new initiatives that will enhance the development and use of the
Internet in Serbia, as well as to consider the issues that will be the
subject of discussion at meetings of the European and global dialogue on
Internet governance."//
////
/In short: There was two panels on conference. First panel was all about
security (children, personal data, cyber police...), with panelists from
Government and NGOs. We all recognized crucial need - forming serbian
SIRT, and before that - forming security strategy.
Second panel was about adoption of new technologies. It was open dialog,
and many question was raised and many answers was given from policy and
decision makers.
Personally, as one of the panelist in the second panel, I was talking
about the lack of IPv6 and IDN usage in Serbia.
Bottom line, it was a good dialogue.

Regards,
Dušan

On 22.11.2014 16:40, Sorina Teleanu wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As you have seen in the EuroDIG newsletter circulated by Sandra, EuroDIG has re-confirmed the plans for a SEE round table the day before EuroDIG 2015. As the time is running quickly, I think we need to kick-start the discussions on the preparations for this event.
>
> First, many thanks to Sandra and Wolf for their responses and suggestions in reply to my previous email and to Dusan for setting up this mailing list.
>
> Base on these latests exchanges, I think there are few things we should start considering/discussing about. I am listing them below, together with a summary of our previous discussions,  and kindly invite all of you to share your thoughts.
>
> 1. Objective of the event and expected results
>
> Q: What do we want to achieve with this event? Capacity-building/awareness raising etc?
>
> Previous discussions:
> - “There is lack of awareness among policy and decision makers of the importance of digital policy and Internet governance. New Policy guidelines of the European Commission outline digital policy as one of the top priorities of Europe in future (see a blog). While they will realise it sooner or later, we need to help it happen sooner and focus on building capacities of the governments and institutions to deal with new issues in a meaningful way (security with freedoms, data protection and privacy with security, open market with net neutrality, etc).”
> - “Initially, explaining the benefits of multistakeholder approach for national IG; then, building multistakeholder policy-making mechanisms (like CGI.br) in SEE countries; also increasing cooperation among the SEE states on IG issues (cybersecurity may be a first good step for cooperation).”
> - Address the lack of understanding of the Internet as an ecosystem (Internet and IG regarded as a technical and judicial issue) and the need for basic education on IG;
>

> 2. Identifying the key needs/issues/possible themes
>
> Q: What should be the theme(s) of the event? What issues do we want to discuss?
>
> Previous discussions:
> - the need for capacity building, and responding to a perceived lack of information on IG issues;
> - recognizing what are Internet governance issues in the first place;
> - learn more about what is ICANN; what are registries / registrars;
> - security & privacy;
> - the multi-stakeholder model - what is community-driven policy? How does it work?
> - digital divide;
> - IDNs;
> - content localisation;
> - cybercrime;
> - censorship/interference with content.
>
> 3. Format and duration of the event
>
> This is closely related to point 2 above and the number of issues we choose to discuss.
>
> Q: How to frame the discussions? What format should the event have? Do we aim to have a half day event or a full day event?

> [...]

---
avast! antivirus zaštita je aktivna stoga ova e-pošta nema virusa i zlonamjernih programa.